woensdag 2 januari 2008

Survival tips for the sale season

1. Make a list. List down the things you need, and list down the things you want. Those are two different things.

2. Create a budget. Say to yourself, I will not spend beyond a certain amount at this time.

3. Create time limits.

4. Allow yourself to walk out of a shop without buying anything.

5. When it comes to making a purchase, ask yourself this question: Is this item something I will enjoy using or is this item something I'm buying because it represents a desired status.

6. Don't let yourself get starstruck (by branded items). Make sure that the size is right, that it feels good, and that you love it.

7. Don't panic. Comparison shop because what may seem low-priced in one store could be even priced lower in another store.

8. Relativity is good. Will my life be totally shattered if I don't buy this thing? (Some folks say: I will totally die if I don't have such and such. How true is this statement? Would you really die if you didn't have it?)

9. Ask yourself the question, do I really need this? (my dad does that all the time. More often than not, the answer is : I don't really need this.)

10. If there's something left over after considering the needs part of your list, perhaps you can allow yourself some of the I want part. (I confess my wants are all about books. If I've bought myself a good book, I won't want anything else.)

11. The best way to make sure you stick to your budget during a sale is to bring your budget in cash. When the cash runs out, the budget's gone. You are still allowed to windowshop.

12. Buying is fun, but if buying is the be-all and end-all of a shopping trip...then maybe it's time to check your emotional state.

Oh...and perhaps the best budget keeper I´ve had is taking my son along with me. When I get to browsing tops and skirts and dresses, he says: But mom, don't you have enough of those things already?

Geen opmerkingen: